As used in KRS 45A.295 to 45A.320:
(1) "State public purchasing unit" shall mean the Finance and
Administration Cabinet and any other purchasing agency of
(2) "Local public purchasing unit" shall mean any county, city,
governmental entity and other subdivision of the
Commonwealth or public agency thereof, public authority,
public educational, health, or other institution, any other
entity which expends public funds for the acquisition or
leasing of supplies, services, and construction, and any
nonprofit corporation operating a charitable hospital.
(3) "Public purchasing unit" shall mean either a local public
purchasing unit or a state public purchasing unit.
(4) "Foreign purchasing activity" shall mean any buying
organization not located in this Commonwealth which, if
located in this Commonwealth, would qualify as a public
purchasing unit. An agency of the United States government
is a foreign purchasing activity.
(5) "Cooperative purchasing" shall mean purchasing conducted
by, or on behalf of, more than one (1) public purchasing
unit, or by a public purchasing unit with a foreign
(1) Any public purchasing unit may either participate in,
sponsor, conduct, or administer a cooperative purchasing
agreement for the acquisition of any supplies, services, or
construction with any other public purchasing unit or foreign
purchasing activity, in accordance with an agreement entered
into between the participants. This cooperative purchasing may
include, but is not limited to, joint contracts between public
purchasing units and access by local public purchasing units
to open-ended state public purchasing unit contracts.